2013/02/23

2009 March 28

Saturday 28 March 2009


A70 a hand decorated epoxy casting bought in the days when quality injection moulding was never ever going to happen.
This is one engine I will never swap, it does sit up front of Precision Brass engines and the Auscision Plastic will take second place to it as well.
This engine belonged to a mate who died suddenly whilst still a young man.






949 A lima model, rebuilt by Peter (ANR) Smith, at least 20 years ago. A prize purchase with its sister in SAR red and silver. Done many miles and enjoyed by thousands at Exhibitions all these years. Sadly it does not look that good up against the TOR models.


The only 44 I have and its a dummy. However it is being fitted with a camera and transmitter/ recorder. So it might be interesting!
A good comparison of how wrong the Lima body really is.


A good comparison of how wrong the Lima body really is
From the top, you notice the Lima is short and too wide and the windscreen is imitating the bow of a boat!!


No 2 end and B end comparison. You just got to wonder how qualified was the draftsman who did the drawings for Lima.


Probably the Limas best view if you don't look past the headlight



Well I did get a little done today. I wasted a few hours looking for a model that I thought I might of lost (Peter's A)
and more trying to figure out how to open it so I could chip it.

Then the layout design needed a rethink and some changes. I had to lower the board slightly, and trust it will not destroy the effect of the lower level climbing through a valley.





But at least the top level store yard and loco depot should be ok now

Yeah I think it will be fine!
Now I need to cut out a paper template as large as the whole loop. Then on the floor draw in the track allowing for transitions and easy reverse curves to make sure everything fits in. When I am satisfied, I will lay the ply out on the baseboard. Mark in the track position and using a jig saw, cut out the double main line and then using risers glue and screw it into its final place creating the 1.5% gradient up to the top level.
The remainder of the board can then be fixed into position and the hidden storage roads will be fixed in place. Fill in the gaps from the cut out where necessary. and protect the gap with strips of masonite (ready made at Bunning's called framing spacers) to prevent derailed vehicles falling through. I do it this way, as you cannot have a solid bench top because of the risers, well you can but this way I get a more stable riser and by laminating strips of ply on the joins on this cut out track bed, I get a very smooth gradient as well as  nice easements.
Well God willing and in between motor car races tomorrow, I will return soon enough :D
Cheers
Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments and suggestions from like minded individuals always welcomed. Help make this railway better :D